TriHealth EAP® provides a rapid response to any emergency that may occur at AK Steel. Our Critical Incident/Trauma Response Program is designed to provide assistance to organizations, and their employees who are experiencing the physical, emotional and psychological effects of a critical/traumatic event.
Critical/traumatic events are outside the range of ordinary human experience. They are overwhelming, powerful and generally disruptive to individuals and groups. Some examples are:
- The death or critical illness of a co-worker or a co-worker's family member
- A serious accident or injury involving an employee in or outside of the workplace
- Acts of violence, assault, war, tragic or catastrophic events
- Acts of terrorism, threats, toxic exposure
- Natural disasters such as tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes or floods
All calls from an AK Steel representative for crisis assistance receive an immediate response from TriHealth EAP. The process below is followed:
- Assessment: An initial assessment of the impact of the critical incident/trauma on company personnel is developed.
- Gathering Facts: Detailed information about the critical incident/trauma is gathered.
- Management Consultation: Immediate and ongoing consultation is provided to management. TriHealth EAP will assist management in the role of the EAP, rumor control, communications and other assistance needed.
- Action Plan: Preliminary plans are outlined and action steps are developed.
TriHealth EAP can provide on-site counselors and/or a Critical Incident Stress Debriefing Session. When the trauma is very severe, an on-site counselor can be very helpful. A group session is generally the most beneficial.
Critical Incident Stress Debriefing (CISD)
This is a specific technique in a group setting designed to assist participants in dealing with the physical, emotional or psychological symptoms that generally are associated with a critical incident/trauma. It allows participants to process with others the critical event, to reflect on its impact and to defuse the emotions and thoughts associated with a traumatic event.
A CISD is best received within 24 to 48 hours after the event. Management is instructed to arrange a meeting room and a time convenient for those employees involved. Everyone affected is invited to attend but attendance is optional. AK Steel will receive a sample memorandum to use to invite employees to the debriefing session.
The response to a CISD during the workday is immediate. If it occurs after hours or on a weekend, the On-Call Response Counselor will take the call, provide phone assistance and arrange for onsite assistance at the earliest possible time.
Some victims may experience a greater degree of trauma due to their relationship to the event (e.g., closely witnessing a death, victim of an assault in an armed robbery, etc.) and need individual assistance. During and after the debriefing, our counselors will identify and refer those employees needing further counseling and assistance. We also will assist managers in recognizing post-trauma symptoms and provide guidance on how to refer employees to the EAP.
TriHealth EAP provides follow-up telephone calls to leaders within the department involved in the debriefing to discern the current status and effect of the debriefings and uncover any lingering concerns.